Thursday, May 5, 2011

Loss and Gain


The loss of my iPhone has changed things.  I miss the camera like crazy, but part of me is embracing the absence of constant distraction from the emails, apps, random web searches, etc.  For now, I'm using my old Blackberry, ahem, Crackberry.  Having never tried crack, I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say that the Blackberry is like a mildly addictive coffee drink compared to the potency of the iPhone 4.  Even to call the Blackberry a gateway drug is giving it too much credence.  The tricky thing is how 'clean' the iPhone addiction is.  You are hardly aware of how omnipresent it is, until it's gone.  The blog is suffering, I know.  However, the me-being-more-present thing is good.

We took the side off M's crib on Tuesday, turning it into a 'toddler bed'.  She was thrilled and hopped around on it for what seemed like an hour chanting "jzump! jzump! jzump!"  So cute.  As the crib is from Ikea, it should not have come as a surprise that the rail thing that I bought separately (not from Ikea) did not work properly with the crib.  Since M can be a pretty restless sleeper, I had to come up with a quick alternate solution to keep her from falling out on a regular basis.  I was very pleased with my solution which was to attach 4 ties to a doubled piece of cotton fabric.  The fabric is pulled tight across the front of the crib and tied on to the bars at the side.  At the bottom, it's pulled beneath the mattress and tied off.  At the top the ties can slide up (for when she's sleeping) or down (for when she's playing - shown above).  When it's slid up it comes about 10 inches above the mattress but it's still easy for her to push it down when she intentionally wants to get out.  I know how picky (for good reason) crib related safety stuff can be, but this feels like a very good (and safe) solution for our particular situation.

I'm also experimenting with some bread making... Anything to justify using the cinnamon sugar butter I bought today at the farmer's market....

No comments:

Post a Comment